My Look at The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

 

"When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother."

The Hunger Games has been on my TBR for so long, and I finally got to read through the whole series! If you are a fan of dystopian stories, this one is an absolute must. 
Since the books have been out for years, everyone has already seen a thousand standard reviews. Because of that, I just wanted to share my honest thoughts and personal perspective rather than writing a normal review.
 
My Look: Right from the opening chapters, Suzanne Collins’ writing style was really captivating. 
She gives you just enough detail to understand Katniss Everdeen's life while keeping a sense of mystery about Panem and what District 12 is really like. 
Starting the story on the morning of the Reaping was a really nice apect to see the mourning and suspension of whats about to take place. 
Instead of dumping a ton of world-building information on the reader all at once, the history and rules of the world are revealed naturally as the plot moves forward. 
The pacing I loved and it was keeping you hooked, without feeling overwhelmed.

And reading this it really makes me think on how greatful I am to be an American where, we have no dictatorship, and it makes me think of what thats like in other countries with that.
And through out the story you see how president Snow and the capitol is really controlling you not only outside your home, but everywhere.

Another aspect that stood out to me was the characters. 
In usual stories, the heroes are usually adults.
 In The Hunger Games, the main chareceters/heros —Katniss, Peeta, Rue, and Primrose—are children and teenagers. 
Seeing young people forced to deal with heavy choices makes the story hit much harder, especially for a teenage audience.
 They aren't flawless superheroes; they are scared kids trying to protect the people they love, which makes their courage feel genuine and relatable.

Overall, I loved the hunger games, and I think it's a good book/series to get into!
yours truly Jane Harlowe.



(kisses three fingers and holds them up;)

*whistles







Are you? Are you? coming to the tree?..

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts